08 October 2011

Steve Jobs RIP

I was saddened to hear of Steve Jobs' passing. That is truly a young age and it is a terrible loss for the technology world.

But I hesitated to post anything about it because I had already written an in memoriam piece back in August, highlighting his unbroken record of genius moves.

Then, I read this quote from his 2005 Standford commencement speech and I knew that I had to salute the man one more time.
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
Coming shortly after his cancer diagnosis, this is a very profound and brave thought.

May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment